Tuesday, April 27, 2010

YES! IT'S HOLE!


So the long-awaited Courtney Love album Nobody's Daughter (that became the fourth Hole LP) has leaked ... you can hear all but one track here.
Pitchfork gave it a so-so rating. I haven't heard it yet, but as a rabid fan of '90's-era Hole, I have to concede that it would be a miracle if Love reclaimed the glory of her days as reigning Grunge Queen. The lady has lived through this, that and the other during the last twenty years (all very publicly, mind you) and I feel that she may have fallen a bit too hard down that Hollywood-rabbit hole. She lost that priceless sense of humor, that "fuck-em-all" attitude that gave her guttural wailings a certain depth and spirit that set her apart from the countless copycat bands that sprouted in her wake in the mid-1990's. At any rate, I'll be watching Courtney and wish her new "Hole" all the best.

P.S. I love how she brought back the Barbie font! And the painting of Marie Antionette that she used in the liner notes of My Body, the Hand Grenade. So awesome!